Not much of an update, but work is being done on the Fafnir, albeit a bit too slowly for my taste.
Finally the bottom plate and bulkhead zero (bow) were cut today at my friend’s Marc Elite Woodwork shop. Once the files were loaded into the machine it took a mere ten minutes per sheet. The results are of course extremely precise.
I dread having to scarf those two large planks to form the bottom plate. The bulkhead needs a lot of filing because the stringers come at an angle and I want maximum contact for the epoxy. We added another doubler to add strength to the bow.
Here is what happens when you order 14′ planks and they deliver 13′ lengths. Thanks to Real-Woods in Sarasota. They did a good job with width and thickness, but what a F-Up on length! I didn’t want to wait any longer for new planks. Didn’t get a reply to my complaint email.. Lesson learned, verify deliveries before the truck leaves.
The Jig I made isn’t working well but it got the job done, this time at least:
(Reload the page if the video doesn’t show..)
About my hatch, I received a message from John Welsford (Thank you Sir!) letting me know that each pound that high would need four extra pounds in the keel.. Ah.. That is a problem.. The original hatch weights 9Lbs. So, (35-9)x4=104Lbs. I intend of having a couple batteries on-board for lights and my Ham radio, say maybe two 20Ah SLAs at 15Lbs each, placed down low. That’s still 74Lbs of wasted load carrying capacity. Not to mention the bronze ports I wanted. I need to reduce their number significantly without making the cabin too dark. It seems invariable that my hatch choice will cost me a 100Lbs or more penalty. Well, there is always time to reconsider, it won’t be until next year that I’ll get to that part of the boat..
Today I received the hatch for the Fafnir. It is bigger and heavier than I thought. It does look like nothing could damage it however.
It’s 35Lbs and I am worried about the weight above the waterline, especially that I also want to use bronze ports on the cabin sides and front. I might have to reduce their number and add a little weight in the keel…
Boat people, what do you think?
I got a slow start on the Fafnir build, though preparation work is quite important. The boat rests on a jig during construction, and that is what I put up yesterday.
I decided to have the boat plans digitized into CAD files. The first step was the jig verticals you can see above. The work is being done by my friend Erin Hood. The panels were cut by my friend Marc at Elite Woodwork in Sarasota. The advantage of having CAD files is that small errors on the plans can be fixed in the 3D model before any wood is cut. The precision of CNC cutting machines is amazing and everything should fit down to the millimeter. Erin and Marc did a great job and if Erin wasn’t familiar with boat building techniques, he certainly is now. I can’t wait to see the first bulkheads cut this way.
Those files will be made available to Fafnir builders who can prove that they paid for an original set of plans, assuming John Welsford has no objections.
The top of the jig verticals needed to be beveled. I used a file for the bottom of the notches and an electric orbital sander for the top edges. Filing by hand took some time but the sander was really fast, almost too fast for comfort.
My next step is to laminate the keelson in place, then the bottom plate. Making scarf joints will be a pain. I need to build some kind of a jig for my router to cut those planks at an angle. I’ll probably make a video of that, so stay tuned..